whether or not he actually said this it is nevertheless very sound advice
Warren Buffett, in a recent interview with CNBC, offers one of the best quotes about the debt ceiling:"I could end the deficit in 5 minutes," he told CNBC. "You justpass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligiblefor re-election.
The 26th amendment (granting the right to vote for 18 year-olds)took only 3 months & 8 days to be ratified! Why? Simple! The people demanded it. That was in 1971 - before computers, e-mail, cell phones, etc.
Of the 27 amendments to the Constitution, seven (7) took one (1) yearor less to become the law of the land - all because of public pressure.
Warren Buffet is asking each addressee to forward this email toa minimum of twenty people on their address list; in turn askeach of those to do likewise.
In three days, most people in The United States of America willhave the message. This is one idea that really should be passedaround.
1. No Tenure / No Pension.
A Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives nopay when they're out of office.
2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in SocialSecurity.
All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to theSocial Security system immediately. All future funds flow intothe Social Security system, and Congress participates with theAmerican people. It may not be used for any other purpose.
3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as allAmericans do.
4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise.Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.
5. Congress loses their current health care system andparticipates in the same health care system as the American people.
6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on theAmerican people.
7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen/women are voideffective 12/1/12. The American people did not make thiscontract with Congressmen/women.
Congress made all these contracts for themselves. Serving inCongress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathersenvisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve theirterm(s), then go home and back to work.
If each person contacts a minimum of twenty people then it willonly take three days for most people (in the U.S.) to receivethe message. Don't you think it's time?
THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS!